Temple Beth Shalom Gives Back to the Local Community
On March 3, 2013 the congregation at Temple Beth Shalom in Manalapan, NJ came together for their 2nd annual TBS Cares Day. TBS Cares Day is a day of giving back to the community with teams working for many local charities. This year 200 members formed 13 teams which completed projects to benefit those in need in the community. The teams accomplished the following:
- Prepared and served meals to homeless and group home residents at Elijah's Promise in New Brunswick and HAB Core in Asbury Park and Red Bank.
- Cleaned a local park removing trash to improve the environment and safety of the park.
- Children performed a talent show and sing-a-long for local seniors at the Brookside Assisted Living in Freehold. The children sang, danced, played musical instruments and brightened the day of the seniors with their smiles and a flower.
- Created decorations and bird feeders to be placed at Special Strides Therapeutic Riding Center for physically and developmentally challenged individuals in Monroe.
- Collected books for the Freehold Learning Center in Freehold Borough. The team sorted the book by grade level and delivered over 10 boxes of books to the school. This will enable the school to provide books to promote the STAR Readers recognition and reading incentive program.
- Created backpacks filled with school supplies and birthday boxes filled with birthday party supplies to benefit the families at Emmanuel Cancer Foundation who have children diagnosed with cancer.
- Assembled parent welcome bags to be provided to parents who find their children in the NICU at Mt. Sinai Kravis Children's Hospital.
- Held a magazine drive to provide magazines to the patients at Centrastate Hospital. These magazines will be provided to the patients as the hospital volunteers come around with the library cart.
- Made hand made dog toys for the abused and abandoned pets awaiting adoption at the Monmouth County SPCA.
- Created handmade baby blankets for children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need through the gifts of a cozy handmade blanket through Project Linus.
- Decorated and assembled over 100 care packages for the homeless through Jewish Family & Children's Service. Care packages included portable food items and essential toiletries. Collected and donated new underwear and socks to be donated to the homeless at the Jersey Shore.
- Conducted a fun-a-thon and pizza sale with proceeds benefiting Jewish Family & Children's Service.
- TBS Hebrew High School students held a Lemonade Stand to benefit Alex's Lemonade Stand to fund research for childhood cancer.
- B'nai Mitzvah students held fund raisers to benefit Make a Wish Foundation and the United Way for Sandy Hook families.