When the Brookdale Community College Theater Department presents The Reluctant Dragon this month, it will be with cast of local thespians, including Andrew Micolleti of Englishtown, who will be playing Grimsby, and Chelsea Demaio of Manalapan, who will be a part of the chorus.
According to Brookdale, this magical, humorous story is about friendship and follows the unlikely friendship between a dragon and a young boy. Sydney is not your typical dragon as he prefers to spend his time writing poetry and doing watercolor portraits. Sydney decides to settle in the town of Guildemere where the townspeople decide to blame their dying crops and sour milk on the dragon. One boy, Glaston, however, befriends Sydney. The townspeople believe the dragon needs to be stopped and they ask Saint George to come to deal with him. Everyone prepares for the fight of their life, however, in the end, they all get a surprise.
The local cast includes:
- Antonio Johnson – The Dragon – Asbury Park
- Andrew Micoletti – Grimsby – Englishtown
- Anna Schoeneberger – Darby – Freehold
- Emily Kochis – Chorus - Jackson
- Joseph Diana – St. George – Leonardo
- Chelsea Demaio – Chorus – Manalapan
- Clarissa Shaw – Chorus – Neptune
- Michael Meinberg – Woolchester – North Middletown
- Carolyn Hodge – Kendal – Red Bank
- Samantha Casbarro – Chorus – Spring Lake Heights
- Rolando Henandez – Chorus – Staten Island
- Jill Cimorelli – Glaston – Tinton Falls
The play is adapted Mary Hall Surface from the book by Kenneth Grahame.
Daytime performances are scheduled for April 21 and 28 at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., April 22 and 29 at 3 p.m. Tickets are $5 for adults, seniors, BCC students, children age 13 and over. Children 12 and under are FREE. Call the Box Office for more information and to order tickets at (732) 224-2411.
Schools can also see the play for free. BCC reps say:
At the Brookdale Performing Arts Center, we think that it is important for children to be able to see live theater without having to worry about the cost. The arts are a valuable part of the education experience. With this in mind, we are offering free tickets to our school day matinees. The following dates/times are available for schools only: April 19, 20, 26 and 27 at 10 a.m.
To reserve your tickets (schools only) or for more information for other tickets, call the Box Office at (732) 224-2411.