A disaster drill was conducted at Pine Brook Care Center on Sunday, Feb. 10 by the Manalapan Teen Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) and the Medical Reserves Corps-Community Emergency Response Team (MRC-CERT).
The Pine Brook Care Center senior staff met with CERT and they decided that the disaster would be an explosion caused by the oven within the kitchen of the facility. However, the rest of the staff were unaware that the drill would take place, so they had to react to the disaster as if it were real. Additionally, the drill was conducted on “Take Your Grandchildren to the Nursing Home Day”, Deputy Mayor Jordan Maskowitz explained.
The fake explosion resulted in over 40 “injuries” ranging from minor to life-threatening. Over 100 volunteers took part in the disaster drill proffering over 300 man hours; the Pine Brook Care Center staff also responded effectively and appropriately.
“It was a very, very successful drill and it proved that the various agencies can work together to accomplish a common goal,” Maskowitz said.
Triage, incident command, and first aid were practiced during the drill. This disaster drill was geared more towards the teenage volunteers, which included members of the new Teen Leadership Committee.
Maskowitz offered a special thanks to all who helped coordinate the event:
- Steve Levine
- Board of Health Officer Dave Richardson
- Manalapan MRC-CERT Coordinator Kim Silverstein
- Administrator of Pine Brook Brian Paneth
- Director of Nursing Ann LaBoy
- Director of Marketing Michelle Costanzo
A special thanks was also offered to those who participated:
- The Monmouth County 4-H
- Boy Scout Troops 180, 381, 434, 71, Pack 258
- Girl Scout Troops 1153, 71
- Howell First Aid Squad
- Law Enforcement Public Safety Program from Manalapan High School
- Manalapan Medical Reserve Corps Community Emergency Response Team
- Manalapan Police Explorers
- Marlboro First Aid Squad
- Morganville First Aid Squad
- Monmouth County OEM Mike Oppegaard
- Monmouth County OEM EMS Section
- Pine Brook Care Center
- Manalapan Teen CERT
- Englishtown-Manalapan First Aid Squad
- Police Explorers
- Manalapan Teen Leadership Committee
Also, could you add if you are interested in becoming more involved please email us at email@example.com.