Judges Neal Girandola, Joe Orlando and Jo Wymer had to choose the best performances from among 15 contestants during Wednesday’s Freehold Idol, which was moved from its usual location outside the Hall of Records building to the American Hotel because of heavy rain.
The latest round of the local singing competition produced six winners instead of the usual three. There was a three-way tie in the 15- to 22- age group: Greg Gorenc, 19, of Manalapan, won for his performance of "Hallelujah"; Jenna Scannelli, 15, also of Manalapan, advanced with "Don't Rain on My Parade"; and Barbara Torres, 17, of Highlands, wowed judges with her rendition of "Nemo."
The 10- to 14- age group also featured a tie, with Julianna Lorenzetti, 14, of Marlboro, winning for her performance of "My Immortal" and Brooke Salamone, 11, of Freehold, advancing with a theatrical rendition of "Popular."
Taanya Brown, 29, of Springfield, won in the 23 and over age group for her performance of "I've Got You Under My Skin."
Other contestants included:
- Maria Broccoli, 17, of Staten Island, performing "If I Ain't Got You"
- Rianna Chase, 15, of Manalapan, sing "I Will Always Love You"
- Araya Creamer, 31, of Sayreville, performing his original song "You Complete Me"
- Eunice Danseglio, 15, of South Amboy, singing "Firework"
- Austin Freeman, 20, of Long Branch, channeling his inner Backstreet Boy with "I Want It That Way"
- Julianna Heck, 14, of Colts Neck, singing "Last Name"
- Teresa Murphy, 42, of Clark, performing "Valerie"
- Amanda Phillips, 21, of Englishtown, engaging the crowd with "Living on a Prayer"
- CJ Rarela, 18, of Marlboro, singing "The Remedy"