Lauren Fichten, 12, and her sister Hannah, 9, will be dancing in the holiday ballet, "The Nutcracker", at the Count Basie Theater in Red Bank. Presented by "Red Bank's Official Ballet Company", the Company of Dance Arts (CODA), "The Nutcracker" will show on Saturday, Dec. 10 and Sunday, Dec. 11 at 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. on both days.
The story of the ballet follows Clara, a little girl, who travels to the Land of Snow and the Kingdom of Sweets (ruled by the Sugarplum Fairy) with her Nutcracker.
CODA's production of "The Nutcracker" will feature the choreography of Peter Anastos and showcase Victorian costumes (including a "growing" Christmas tree) all set to Tchaikovsky's score. The ballet has been presented by CODA in the area for over 25 years.
The cast of over 130 ballerinas includes children and pre-professionals, as well as principals and soloists coming from New York City dance companies. The Fichten sisters will dance in the company, welcoming Clara to the Land of Sweets and dancing in the party scene, among other scenes.
- Sugar Plum Fairy: Tiffany Mako, Toms River and Maritess Escueta, Eatontown
- Snow Queen: Cailey Bruno, Toms River and Emily Ghandi, Farmingdale
- Dew Drop Fairy: Maritess Escueta, Eatontown
- Clara: Lauren Masciana, Middletown and Catherine Escuetta, Eatontown
- Fritz: Rayna Ruggeri, Holmdel and Emily Laughinghouse, Fair Haven
Contact the Count Basie Theater Box office for tickets at 732-842-9000. Ticket prices are $35, $25, and $15 depending on seating. There is a $3 discount for senior citizens and children under the age of 12.