1. Sunny Holiday: Today will be sunny with a high around 53 degrees, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight will be mostly clear with the low dropping to around 35 - so bundle up before heading to your family’s house!
2. Happy Thanksgiving!: I hope everyone enjoys this lovely national holiday designated for taking time out of our busy lives to sit and be grateful for all that we have as Americans.
3. What is Closed?:
- The United States Postal Service does not delivery mail today, and will resume on Friday.
- Local and State government offices will be closed today.
- Garbage will not be collected today.
- The Monmouth County Library will be closed.
- Manalapan High School and all schools in the MERS District are closed today and tomorrow.
- Most banks, retailers, grocery stores, and convenience stores will be closed.
3. What is Open?:
- Forgot some last minute ingredients? Wegmans, located at 55 Route 9 in Manalapan, will hold hours from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m.; the specialty departments are closing at 3 p.m.
- CVS and Walgreens will also be open.
5. Gobble, Gobble, Gobble: The Butterball Corporation recommends specific ways to guarantee a delicious turkey:
- Thaw a wrapped turkey in the refrigerator for approximately one day for every 4 lbs.
- Once the turkey is out of the oven, let it stand for 15 minutes before serving to let the stuffing cool down to about 165 degrees - a better serving temperature.
- Cover the turkey breast and the top of the drumsticks with aluminum foil when it 2/3 cooked. Make sure the foil loosely covers the bird to prevent it from overcooking.
- All of the ingredients within stuffing should already be cooked before it is put inside of the turkey. Do not, however, make the stuffing much in advance. Cook the stuffing right before you cook the turkey.
- The best spot to put the meat thermometer in the turkey is in the thigh.