.
News Alert
UPDATE: Massive Brush Fire Rages In Berkeley,…

UPDATE: Vat of Oxidizing Chemical at Hair Systems Ignited

Fire departments were called to the fire at around 12:30 p.m. on Friday afternoon.

A hazmat fire was reported at , a multinational distributor of hair products whose warehouse is located at 30 Park Ave. in Englishtown, at approximately 12:30 p.m. Friday, an dispatcher confirmed.

All Englishtown patrolman on duty at the time of the fire were requested to the scene. The , ,  , Freehold Borough Fire Department, Millstone Fire Department, and Jamesburg Fire Department responded to the scene, according to Englishtown Fire Department Chief Peter Hall.

The fire began in back of the warehouse in a section of the building called a "powder room" where some type of manufacturing or packaging was located, according to Hall. The building is mostly used for storage, little  distribution is done at the warehouse, but chemical research is done at the facility, Hall said. A vat containing an oxidizing chemical ignited in the powder room, and the fire was mostly contained to the vat.

The fireman moved the vat out of the "powder room" and used copious amounts of water to douse the flames which sparked a fire due to a chemical reaction, which Hall said was the only treatment to combat such a type of fire.

Heavy smoke conditions were observed and a decontamination trailer, supplied by Manalapan Township Fire Company #1, was activated for the fireman who directly combatted the hazmat fire.

Gordons Corner Fire Company also provided a rehabilitation unit that was used.

Shortly after 1 p.m., the fire was reportedly knocked out and crews ventilated the scene, according to police. There was no structural damage to the warehouse.

The fire was initially discovered by Hall who, when driving past the warehouse, discovered a flood of people exiting the building. Upon closer investigation, Hall realized that the building's fire alarm had been activated and he contacted county. An emergency call had not yet been made.


Njborn61 May 05, 2012 at 07:45 PM
Hair systems should have been shut down 30+ years ago. Everything I've heard about this place has been bad. I saw all the commotion in town I decided to come check things out and saw countless firefighters being loaded into ambulances. Something needs to and must be done about this place!
jun July 02, 2012 at 08:35 PM
Hair systems is a dangerous place they have no regard too human life they just continue to pay off inspectors the owner should be in jail instead he pays a fine in gets off
jin July 02, 2012 at 08:37 PM
Hair systems is a dangerous place they have no regard too human life they just continue to pay off inspectors the owner should be in jail instead he pays a fine in gets off

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something